Blog

BBQing With Your Pet

Animal Clinic of Verona

September 2017

We all look forward to summertime. The sun, the warmth, the beaches, and the bbqs, and we like enjoying these things with our pets. Our pets are especially fond of the BBQs, but these can be dangerous to our furry companions.

The National Fire Prevention Association states that all grills should be kept at least three feet away from pets and children. Both can get curious about what’s cooking on the grill or be rough housing around the grill, not paying attention, or trying to get food off of it, which can lead to very hazardous results. The grill should also not be left unattended for these reasons as well.

If a Pet Gets Burned By a Grill
  • Extinguish all flames. If electricity is involved, make sure the power is turned off.
  • Avoid being bitten. You may have to muzzle your pet.
  • Apply cool water compresses with a clean cloth. This may prevent the burn from penetrating deeper into the tissues. Change the compress frequently, and keep the site cool and wet. If the burn involves only one part of the body, you can submerge the area in cool water.
  • Do not break any blisters that may have formed.
  • Do not apply any ointments or butter-like substances.
  • Do not apply ice to the burn.
  • Carefully transport the animal to your veterinarian!

You’ll want to be very cautious of things around the grill and protecting your grill contents, thereby protecting your pet. Ingestion of grill drippings, for instance, could lead to severe gastrointestinal upset or even pancreatitis, which can be a very serious or even deadly condition in some pets. The same goes for keeping charcoal fluid out of their reach, which can be toxic if ingested. Other items around the grill area you’ll want to watch out for are

  • wood or metal skewers if accidentally ingested, could puncture their gastrointestinal tracts, necessitating surgery, or even causing death.
  • aluminum foil and plastic wraps, which, if ingested, can cause intestinal blockage.

Along with physically protecting your pet from the grill, you also need to protect them from what’s coming off of it as well.

Meat with Bones (Chicken wings, Ribs, etc): It is easy for some dogs to choke on these “treats” or for the bones to splinter while your pup is chomping down.

Onions: Onions and garlic are potentially lethal to pooches. If consumed, they can affect your canine’s red blood cells.

Hot Dogs and Hamburgers: While it is tempting to slip your dog a piece of BBQ meat, these foods are often loaded with salt, preservatives and other rich flavors that can easily lead to canine tummy troubles.

Corn on the Cob: While the corn itself is fine, This outdoor party staple’s cob presents a choking and/or intestinal blockage hazard.

Other non-grill items that may be present at a BBQ and are also harmful to pets include :

  • Avocado
  • Grapes
  • Chocolate
  • Chives
  • Garlic
  • Raw eggs
  • Alcohol

Be aware and keep your pet safe.

Contact Us
Contact Us
Our Location

The Animal Clinic of Verona is located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley!

We are conveniently located near the following localities:

Staunton, Augusta County, Verona, Fishersville, Penn Laird, McGayhesville, Waynesboro, Weyers Cave, Shenandoah Valley, Highland County, Harrisonburg, Churchville, Stuarts Draft, Grottoes, Port Republic, Harriston, New Hope, and Crimora!

Copyright© Internet solution provided by 3 Sided Media